Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Charter - Still a Mental Giant

My loving ISP continues to set new standards in sub-marginal customer service. Amazingly, as soon as I complained to a Charter supervisor about the sarcastic minimum-wager that yanked my chain, my primary e-mail account became disabled. I'm sure Charter and its employees are not responsible in any way, nor was the disabling of my account a form of retaliation.

I checked my sub-account e-mail addresses - they all worked fine. I was able to log into my master account without issue, so I changed the password for the master e-mail address. Still, no access - either through my e-mail client or through Charter's e-mail portal. So, I had to call Charter customer disservice. While talking to the "technical expert," I like to play a little game called "Which Country Did My Call Re-Route To?" So, I informed the "expert" that my e-mail was persona non gratis.

"Expert" first asked for my e-mail address, which I was happy to give. Then, I was asked for my password. Even after I refused, and explained how Charter sends regular e-mail indicating that none of their employees will ever ask for my password, "Expert" still insisted. After the hat trick of refusals, the Mensa candidate decided to reset the password (duh). Amazingly, my e-mail was again active. I inquired why the account was disabled. I received a broken-english reply of how the helpful technician had reset the password. After this endless death spiral, I gave up on the why.

Then, "Expert" asked if I needed anything else. I informed the helper that I had never received a response from Charter concerning my issue with their DNS re-direct that was hijacking my address line searches. The phone-holder asked how long I was on the phone waiting for a reply. I indicated I was told I'd receive a response in 24hrs, so staying on the line did not seem like the best use of my time. Then, once again, we entered this endless spiral of asking the same question, providing the same answer, etc. The "Expert" couldn't seem to grasp the idea of "getting back to someone." As I explained the problem, the individual consuming other people's oxygen replied "Oh, its a problem with the channels on your TV." Maybe they pipe a hallucinogen into the HVAC at Charterland - the TV channel comment remains a mystery. We came to an awkward and uncomfortable end.

I never have received a response from the geniuses at Charter. They are still redirecting the address line search site. So, I used my head (something I should have done a lot earlier) and pointed my router to a different DNS server. Problem solved.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home